Can I teach BollyX classes if I have a F-1, H-1B, H-4, J-1, O-1 or TN visa?

To the best of our knowledge, in order to work a contract job as a fitness instructor in gyms in the US, you must be a US Citizen or hold a green card. For any facility that requires you to fill out an I-9 or W-4 to work, you will NOT be eligible to teach at that location if you have any visa listed below.

However, there are some independently owned dance studios that may have different hiring practices so you may want to inquire with the owner/manager of those facilities. In addition to paid teaching opportunities, there are also numerous volunteer teaching opportunities, such as demos, fundraisers, public classes and BollyX community events. Lastly, you may consider the entrepreneurial route and think outside the box to create your own opportunities. Before renting studio space, please refer to the manual regarding our "good neighbor" policy. We highly recommend purchasing Personal Liability Insurance if you are teaching BollyX, but definitely if you are renting your own space. 

The information presented here is intended as a general guide. Laws pertaining to immigration status and workforce eligibility vary from state to state. You should consult your attorney to clarify proper workforce documentation and requirements.

As of May 2015, certain H-4 visa holders can work with an I-9 or W-4 if you apply for an EAD. H-4 visa holders without an EAD are not eligible to work. 

Visas that DO NOT qualify for jobs at gym facilities which require an I-9 or W-4:

B-1/WB Temporary Visitor for Business

B-2/WT Temporary Visitor for Pleasure ("Tourist Visa")

F-1 Student on Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-2 Spouse or Dependents of F-1 Student

H-1B Temporary Worker

H-4 Spouse or Dependent of H-1B, H-2, H-3

J-1 Student on Academic Training

J-1 Exchange Visitor

J-2 Spouse or Dependent of J-1 Exchange Visitor (may work with authorization from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services).

O-1 Individual of Extraordinary Ability

TN Canadian or Mexican Professional

TD Spouses or Dependents of TN visa holders


Please sign in to leave a comment.
Powered by Zendesk